Elder Keegan Karsten Brown

Elder Keegan Karsten Brown

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Buna Ziua Prietenul Meu - Good Day My Friends!


After making it through the first game of the playoffs, as you all know, the Chargers lost to the Broncos on Sunday - NOOO!  I hate the Broncos – haha!  I saw a few highlights and don’t wanna talk about it any further.


This week has been an interesting one. I didn’t tell you, but earlier last week Elder Barclay went to President Hill with a few concerns about transportation here in Buch. The result of the conversation is that we are the only missionaries (with exception of the assistants to the pres. and office elders) with a vehicle . . . Yes, we drive a car now!  The reason being, we have a list of about 50 less active members that we’re trying to visit in our area.  President has allowed us to use the car to get from block to block across town to contact these people.  When we finish the list, we return the car.  So far we have been to about 25 of the member’s homes.  Some addresses led us to dirt lots.  One led us to an angry orthodox mother who won’t let us talk to her son - who is a member.  Some led to people who have moved to France, England and Italy.  But one, led to a man who was baptized 7 years ago.  We pulled up to his house and right then he came out to greet us!  We began to tell him who we were and he responded "yes, yes I know, you are the missionaries!"  He let us into his home and we started talking to him. He said he hasn’t been to church for at least three years but that he would be willing to come, if there was somewhere closer to go to.  We responded . . . "perfect, that is why we are here.  We have a branch in Aviatiei and we are inviting you back with us."  Long story short, we gave a little lesson and he will be coming to church with us this Sunday (hopefully). 


The language is still slow. I struggle to speak Romanian and I’m trying to work hard.  I read an email from Blair McFarland, who is serving in Spain.  He wrote that he is reading the book of Mormon in Spanish and that he understands up to 95% of the words.  That is crazy! Talking to missionaries here in Romania, they've told me that even after a year or so they still can’t understand very well reading from the Book of Mormon.  At least I know I’m not the only one struggling with the language!  I have seen a lot of improvement though and I’m sure it will get better over time! 


Weather here in Romania has been great over the last few days!  The fog hasn’t been as thick and I haven’t had to wear my jacket nearly as much.  We've spent a lot of time in parks contacting and playing sports on p-days.  I've heard that it is supposed to get bad again though in a few days.


This week, President Iacobescu told us that his New Year’s goal was to turn our little branch in Aviatiei into a ward.  Now, I think that it is awesome that he wants to do that and I want to see it happen too. Sadly though, last week President Hill told us that he was thinking about closing the branch entirely . . . kind’a sad that Iacobescu has been working so hard but hasn’t seen any results.  I wish it wasn’t being closed down, but I see why President would be doing it.  The whole purpose of this branch was to bring back the less active members from the north side of Buch.  As of last week we had ten missionaries, President and Sora Hill, one senior couple, four American embassy workers, President Iacobescu (who speaks English very well) and one Romanian. I hope things get better over the weeks and we can get people back to church. 


Anyway, I hope you guys are all doing well and I love you!  Enjoy the Playoff Season!


I don’t have any pictures this week because I forgot my camera.


Love,

Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment